NANCI A. SMITH, ESQ. PLLC
Professional Experience: Nanci has been practicing law since 1992. She started her practice in busy litigation firms in Montpelier & Rutland, Vermont with a focus on Civil Litigation and Family Law. She also worked at Vermont Legal Aid, Inc. representing victims of domestic violence and people with psychiatric diagnoses in mental health civil commitment proceedings. Nanci began her solo private practice in 2005 and works exclusively in the area of Family Law. She is a member of the Vermont Bar Association, the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals and has received advanced training in and practices Collaborative Divorce.
Community Affiliations: Nanci is a regular instructor for National Business Institute on Family Law matters, and teaches the Pro Se Education Course at the Superior Court of Vermont, Washington Family Division. She is on the boards of Vermont Legal Aid, Inc. and Vermont Law Line, Vermont’s low-income advocacy organizations. She is also a member of the Washington County & Chittenden County Collaborative Law Practice Groups. Nanci represents children as counsel or as their court appointed Guardian Ad Litem upon request of the court. She is divorced and has a lovely daughter.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Juris Doctorate, 1992 – VT Law School, S. Royalton, VT
- Master in the Study of Environmental Law, 1992 – VT Law School, S. Royalton, VT
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, 1988 – University of California, San Diego, CA
- Basic Collaborative Law training, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Certificate in Negotiating, Collaborating & Leading in Today’s World, Woodstock Institute for Negotiation, May 2010
- Certificate in Mediation – Woodbury College, Woodbury, VT 2001
CLASSES, SEMINARS & PRESENTATIONS
Nanci teaches seminars on Family Law practice and has been a guest lecturer with the National Business Institute since 2007.
Some of her presentations have included:
- Legal Ethics and Professionalism for Everyday Practice – June 2013
- Your Family Law Practice in the 21st Century- May 2011
- Divorce Law Guide From A-Z – May 2010
- Parental Rights From A-Z – January 2010
- Family Law Litigation – September 2008
- Advanced Family Law – May 2008
- Child Custody and Shared Parenting – June 2007
Nanci is a published contributing author in the following books:
- Collaborative Law: Practice and Procedures (MCLE, Inc. 2014); Benefits of Collaborative Law
- Understanding Collaborative Family Law (2011 Thomson Reuters/Aspatore); Empowering Clients with Collaborative Family Law
Collaborative Law: Practice and Procedures was honored by the International Association For Continuing Legal Education (ACLEA) and awarded for Outstanding Achievement in the publications category.
OTHER RECOMMENDED READING
- Collaborative Law Process: A New Paradigm for Divorcing Parents – The Bridge, Jan 28, 2014