NANCI A. SMITH, ESQ. PLLC
Professional Experience: Nanci has been practicing law since 1992. She started her practice in busy litigation firms in Montpelier & Rutland, Vermont with a focus on Civil and Criminal Litigation and Family Law. She also worked at Vermont Legal Aid, Inc. representing victims of domestic violence and people with psychiatric diagnoses in mental health civil commitment proceedings. Nanci began her solo private practice in 2005 and works exclusively in the area of Family Law. She is a member of the Vermont Bar Association and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. She has received advanced training in and practices Collaborative Divorce, mediation and litigation in Vermont Family Court.
Community Affiliations: Nanci is a regular instructor for the Vermont Bar Association, the National Business Institute on Family Law matters, and teaches the Pro Se Education Course at the Superior Court of Vermont, Washington Family Division. She is on the President of Vermont Legal Aid, Inc. and Vermont Law Line, Vermont’s premiere Human Rights Organizations providing low-income advocacy to the most vulnerable in our State. She is also a member of the Washington County & Chittenden County Collaborative Law Practice Groups. Nanci represents children as counsel or as their court appointed Guardian Ad Litem upon request of the court. She is divorced and has a lovely daughter.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Juris Doctorate, 1992 – VT Law School, S. Royalton, VT
- Master in the Study of Environmental Law, 1992 – VT Law School, S. Royalton, VT
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, 1988 – University of California, San Diego, CA
- Basic Collaborative and Advanced Divorce practice training, 2007 to 2017
- Certificate in Negotiating, Collaborating & Leading in Today’s World, Woodstock Institute for Negotiation, May 2010
- Certificate in Mediation – Woodbury College, Woodbury, VT 2001, 2017
CLASSES, SEMINARS & PRESENTATIONS
Nanci teaches seminars on Family Law practice and has been a guest lecturer with the Vermont Bar Association and the National Business Institute since 2007.
Some of her presentations have included:
- Collaborative Divorce – March 2017
- Legal Ethics: Hot Topics and Current Events – June 2015
- The Use of Mental Health Experts in Family & Collaborative Law – September 2014
- Legal Ethics and Professionalism for Everyday Practice – June 2013
- Your Family Law Practice in the 21st Century- May 2011
- Divorce Law Guide From A-Z – May 2010
- Parental Rights From A-Z – January 2010
- Family Law Litigation – September 2008
- Advanced Family Law – May 2008
- Child Custody and Shared Parenting – June 2007
Nanci is a published contributing author in the following books and Journals:
- Collaborative Law: Practice and Procedures (MCLE, Inc. 2014); Benefits of Collaborative Law
- Understanding Collaborative Family Law (2011 Thomson Reuters/Aspatore); Empowering Clients with Collaborative Family Law
Collaborative Law: Practice and Procedures was honored by the International Association For Continuing Legal Education (ACLEA) and awarded for Outstanding Achievement in the publications category.